Crown jewel: Marbled eggs with beetroot and gherkins
- 4 eggs
- 1 jar Kroon beetroot slices
- 2-3 gherkins
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- Pinch of curry powder
- Pepper and salt to taste
- A few strands of fresh chives
- Lava salt
- 1 tbsp. sunflower oil
- Boil the eggs for 8 minutes, drain and rinse in cold water until they are cool enough to hold.
- Tap the egg shells on the counter top a few times so that they crack and roll them carefully so that more tiny cracks are formed in the shell. DO NOT REMOVE THE SHELL!
- Return the eggs to the saucepan and add a jar of Kroon beetroot slices to it, watch out for spatters on your clothing. Keep one slice of beetroot apart for step 5. The eggs should be just underneath the beetroot. If this is not the case, add some water under they are well covered.
- Place the saucepan back onto the heat and bring to the boil. Let boil for 3 minutes, then remove the saucepan from the heat. Place on a cooling rack for 30 minutes (middle shelf opposite the oven) to cool off.
- Dry off the slice of beetroot you kept separate from the rest and cut into fine strips (julienne) and cut those into fine cubes (brunoises). Also slice the gherkins into thick slices and fine cubes.
- Remove the shells from the lukewarm eggs, which are now beautifully marbled. Keep the rest of the beetroot for step 9.
- Cut the eggs in half lengthways and lay the yolks on a large plate.
- Per yolk add: one level tbsp of mayonnaise, a pinch of salt and a smidgeon of curry powder. Use a fork to mash into a smooth mass and put this into a piping bag with a serrated opening.
- Take 8 large slices of beetroot and prick a hole in each one.
- Put each of the 8 slices on a small white appetizer dish and put this onto a piece of slate or nice (black) serving platter.
- Pipe a good-sized blob of egg-yolk crème into each hollow and garnish this with the julienned gherkins and beetroot.
- Lightly coat the rounded side of the marbled eggs with oil (you will not taste this) and put a filled bit of beetroot against each filled egg with the hole downwards.
- Lay two strands of chives across as a garnish.
- If necessary, cover with cling film until ready to serve.
- Upon serving, sprinkle with a few grains of black lava salt and minuscule brunoises of beetroot and gherkins. Serve immediately.