Piccalilly soup with puff pastry
- Kroon piccalilly
- ½ litre water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- ½ green pepper
- ½ (Corno) red pepper
- 100 ml unsweetened cream
- Some sheets of puff or filo pastry dough
- Remove the seeds and seed membrane from the peppers and slice the peppers into strips approx. 6 mm wide (julienne) and then into blocks of 6 mm (brunoises). Set aside for step 3.
- Bring the water to the boil with the stock cube and add 170g piccalilly (= ½ jar) and the diced pepper.
- Boil again, then allow to simmer for approx. 3 minutes. In the meantime, whip the cream with a pinch of salt in it until it is soft (with the consistency of yoghurt).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and purée the soup until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and ground pepper, and extra piccalilly if desired.
- Serve (pour rather than ladle) the soup in double-walled glasses with a layer of cream on to and covers with a round of filo or puff pastry baked until crispy.
- Garnish with a dot of piccalilly, parsley and julienned carrot